Today is International Chocolate Day! Kick off your morning with this Mood-Boosting Dark Chocolate Cherry Smoothie, plus we’ve suggested some 6 Simple Ways to start your day on a positive note…
Dark Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Smoothie
Quick Prep time: 10 minutes max
Makes 1 smoothie
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 banana sliced
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats (use can also you regular oats)
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 ounce dark chocolate (divided) – I used 2 squares of 60% cacao Ghiradelli chocolate
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon flax oil
- 4 ice cubes
- In a blender combine the first 4 ingredients until smooth. Add 1/2 of the dark chocolate, honey, flax oil and ice cubes. Blend until smooth.
- Shave the remaining chocolate and sprinkle it on top.
6 Simple Ways to Boost Your Mood in the Mornings
- Make Your Bed: It symbolizes the end of yesterday and the start of a fresh new day. It will make you feel organized & help calm your mind as you walk out the door.
- Light a Candle: Aromatherapy is great for the senses and calming to the soul.
- Meditate: Taking just a few minutes of peace & quiet to clear your mind of all the chaos can completely alter the start of your day for the better.
- Eat a Healthy Breakfast: A healthy breakfast or smoothie will balance your blood sugar so you don’t crash later in the day and resort to junk food.
- Take a Multi-Vitamin: We all need extra vitamins to supplement the lack of nutrients in our food intake.
- Exercise: Regular exercise can have a profoundly positive impact on depression, anxiety, ADHD, and more. It also relieves stress, improves memory, helps you sleep better, and boosts overall mood.